Monday, March 1, 2010

R for Random

I’ve had a few things floating around in my head lately, none of which are worthy of standalone blog posts, so I’m dumping them all here.

This might be incredibly Un-American, but I’m glad the Olympics are over. While I find curling fascinating and figure skating beautiful, I really don’t care about the competition part of it. Also, I hate that there have been no new episodes of the TV shows I enjoy, because no one wants to take away from the Olympics. There; I’ve said it. Think of me what you will. I don’t like apple pie either. I know, I know; I might as well be a terrorist. (Well, not really. For anyone who might think about turning me in for some kind of investigation, I am not, will never be, and have never been a terrorist.)

I don’t like visiting “musical blogs” (blogs where music starts playing automatically). I might be missing out on some really great blogs, but if I open a blog and hear music, I leave. It’s all fine and good if you want your readers to learn more about you based on your musical tastes, but perhaps it would be best to let the reader decide to hit play. It might seem that this is a stupid thing to be annoyed by, but there’s something so “in your face” about an unexpected assault on my ears. Besides, I do a lot of blog reading at work, and I really hate when music suddenly comes blaring out of my computer. (Okay; maybe not blaring, because I keep the volume very very low and have headphones plugged in, but still. Oh, and yes, I know this is my problem.)

I hate this time of year. You know what I’m talking about, dear reader, I know you do…it’s Girl Scout Cookie time!! Generally as a rule, Music Man and I don’t order cookies. There are two reasons for this:

1.   We refuse to buy cookies from the parent instead of the Girl Scout, and since we don’t know any Girl Scouts, our only option would be to order from one of the many parents we work with. I was a Girl Scout myself once, and I sold my own cookies. There’s supposed to be some kind of lesson in the selling part, though I forget what it is. Probably something about how one must work to earn good things instead of just having good things handed to them, which is a really good lesson; one that all kids should learn.

2.   We naively think that not ordering them will prevent us from eating them; however, this is never the case. Those little crack cookie pushers sellers setup shop in front of local grocery, retail, and drug (how appropriate!) stores. I also see them during the work day as I navigate the skyways during my lunch hour.

Music Man and I are weak. We cannot ignore the lure of those brightly colored boxes containing manna from heaven in the form of wee cookies. We rationalize: since we can only get them once a year*, what’s the harm in buying a couple boxes? The problem is that we buy “a couple” boxes almost every single time we see them being pushed sold.

It is terribly bad for our waistlines, but we just can’t help it. We usually round our purchase up to the nearest ten dollar increment (i.e. an order that’s 17 dollars is rounded up to 20) to increase our contribution to the Girl Scouts. I think we hope that karma will repay us by allowing us to gorge ourselves with indulge in a few cookies with little impact on our waistlines, thighs, stomachs, and butts, but this never seems to work.

(* I know that there are knockoff Samoas, Tagalongs, and Thin Mints available year round, but any true cookie connoisseur knows they’re just not the same.)

It occurred to me the other day while driving around in my fun, fabulous car that people might be hitting each other when they see me drive by. You’ve probably seen the “PunchDub” VW commercials on TV lately that illustrate this concept.



When I was growing up, it was just the Bugs (Beetles) you slugged for. We called the game “Slug Bug.” Some apparently call it “Punch Buggy,” but I think “Slug Bug” is far superior; it’s a much better description of the game, and “Punch Buggy” just sounds stupid. (You might be thinking, “No! you sound stupid, Elle!” and that’s just fine; you are entitled to your feelings on the matter.)

Upon spotting a Beetle, one would yell, “SLUG BUG NO BACKS!” as they hit (well, slugged) the person next to them. Some people, kids especially, seemed to get a little overzealous, resulting in bruises, hurt feelings, and/or fights in the backseat of many a parent’s car. Ah, tradition…

Thanks to the new VW commercial, the Beetle is no longer sacred. They have defiled the Slug Bug game by including all models of VW cars. That really takes the special outta owning the Beetle! My only hope is that the purists of the game will go forth and remind others of how it’s really done.

When I purchased the car, I wasn’t thinking about people hitting each other as they saw me driving my beautiful car; but, I have to admit that I now get a perverse sort of joy thinking about people in other cars hitting each other as I drive by. I know; I’m a no good, very bad person. But, at least I’m honest.

(My fun, fabulous car. Look at how happy it looks. Isn't it hard to believe that anyone could hit anyone after seeing such a cute, fun car?!)

Creative Commons License

19 comments:

  1. Oh, the evil Girl Scout cookies. I got my FIVE boxes today. Must pace self. Good luck to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a yellow VW Beetle and LOVED driving along and watching kids (and adults!) punching each other!! I also HATE the music blogs, and DESPISE the fact that I never met a Girl Scout Thin Mint that I didn't immediately devour!! Sigh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally with you on the music blogs. It really annoys me to open a blog and music starts pouring out of my speakers, especially when my son, who is the world's lightest sleeper, is sleeping!

    Not so much with you on the slug bug/punch buggy thing. I'm a punch buggy die hard. :-)

    Stopping by from SITS! Welcome!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, your car is adorable. Now that that's out of the way, I will also say that Girl Scout cookies are truly delicious. I, too, sold my own cookies and hate buying them from parents who are just plain pushy about it!

    Welcome to SITS! You're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! (R is for random)Love it! Cause it totally was random.

    Music on blogs urks me.
    What's a Waistline? I forgot I had one when I bought a box from the lil' parent after coming back from eating Hardee's lol & I must be the only person on the face of America that never understood why I was getting hit for, after seeing a buggy pass by :/ lol

    Welcome to SITS Elle =)
    Much Luv,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the whole music thing. I do my reading at work and I hate when music starts playing because I can't seem to focus on the blog when music is playing.

    Your car is super cute! I have always wanted one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm yummy girl scout cookies. I want some BAD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you, love your blog and I'm really digging your car!

    About ten years ago, I had a periwinkle blue 1974 VW bug that I was madly in love with and thought me so so cool, don'tcha know.

    Well, I was.

    Unfortunately, we were nickle and diming it so it had to go and then be someone else's cool problem.

    Just hoped they kept the color.

    Thank you for becoming a new follower -- I am happily now stalking you.

    Peace and serenity,
    Jo
    'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankruptcy'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find your randomness rather refreshing. And I agree, I am quite sick of being accosted by Girl Scouts every time I leave a store. On top of that, they just recalled the only cookies I bought!
    Welcome to SITS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for stopping by my blog!

    first off, I completely agree with you about the blogs that play music! i always end up swearing at the screen and searching for an off button for ten minutes.

    secondly, HOW can you hate girl scout cookie season???? i only hate it this year because i missed it and i wasn't able to order cookies! i'm miserable now.

    and you car is adorable! jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I avoided all Girl Scout Cookies this year... no idea how, but I did.

    And I am not a fan of singing blogs either!

    Stopping over from SITS- welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up! I loved your post!
    1.I am so excited the Olympics are over too, I want to see my shows again.
    2. As I read this, I am eating a Samoa (daughter is a GS and she sold all her boxes)!
    3. We play slug-a-bug all the time with our kids...
    Stopping by to welcome you to SITS! We are so glad you joined our blog! Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter is a Daisy and although I didn't have her take the orders at her dad's work, we did have her deliver them:-)

    I am stopping by from SITs to say welcome to the party:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the cutest blog.... Off to read more.

    Welcome to SITS! Cover to my blog. I'm hosting a fun giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, we played 'punch bug' when I was little. I'm so glad V decided to start making the 'bugs' again...there was quite a bit of time when they stopped production- Kids were missing out everywhere! :)

    I've not bought Girl Scout cookies in a couple of years- but I love frozen thin mints. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAHA..we played slug bug back in the day. Or, shall I say my older brother played it and punched me often. lol.

    Girl scout cookies? MMMMMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a Girl Scout for an embarrassingly long amount of time, so whenever I see a GS I just HAVE to buy a box. It really is turning into a love/hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have something for you on my blog! Come see!
    http://anythingfitsanakedman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi. Thanks for returning the visit! No worries at all on the slug bug/punch buggy thing. I wasn't the least offended. :-)

    Returning your visit and stopping by from SITS!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment! Readers like you make me want to continue writing. I will do my best to reply to your comment by either commenting on your blog or by sending you an email. In order for me to send you an email, which I really really like to do, because it's a more personal response, you need to put your email address somewhere on your blog or in your blogger profile. Also, can you please make sure to leave me a link so that I can come and visit your lovely blog? Thanks a bunch!

I hope to see you back here again soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails